Skip to main content

Laundry Soap

So I realized I never posted this on this blog, so here ya go...  ;)


Ok, I LOVE this one much better than the other soap that I posted!  ;)  It is just as easy as the liquid kind, but what I like about this, it doesn't clump!  I've been through 2 of the liquid recipes and decided I'm not 100% sold on it.  Yes, it got the clothes and towels clean, the clumping just didn't fly with me!

So I found something on pinterest, but I didn't follow it.  I kinda made it up!  I will make this again and will add a bit more lavender essential oils.  You could add any other oils that you would like.  Or you don't have to add any, but it just gives it that SUPER FAINT smell of clean lavender clothes!  ;)

I don't remember how much everything cost, but I got my baking soda from Aldi's, which only cost me 49 cents per box...  Yes, you read that right 49 cents.  I LOVE Aldis..  but that's another post...  ;)

I got the Borax from Target...  still not 100% sure what to believe with Borax...  And then the castile soap I got from Safeway.  A package of 3 bars was about 4 bucks I think?  So 4 plus 2 plus how much ever the borax was, I think it was 2.99?  It made me a gallon bucket FULL of soap... I am using about 3-4 heaping teaspoons of soap per load.  I haven't done towels, so I will probably have to do the 4 teaspoons for those.  I just washed my dish cloths, and they don't smell, so the soap is a winner in my book!  :)  Just want to see how it works with towels!

The kids can help grate the soap in the bucket, you mix it with your hands, they can also help break up the clumps of baking soda!  Really easy!

So lets say 8 bucks gets me a full gallon of soap...  I started it on the 10th of November, let's see how long it lasts me in this house!  We do alot of laundry around here!!!!  :D


Powered Laundry Soap


1 box Borax (76 oz)
3 bars of castile soap, grates
4 boxes of baking soda (16oz)
a few drops of essential oil IF you want, no need too.... (I used lavender because that's what I had on hand, just to see how it would work and smell)

Mix all ingredients in a bucket, stir with your hands to combine.  Place in a gallon container with a lid.  use anywhere from 2-4 heaping teaspoons of soap per load.

Also, I have a HE front load washer, I've used it 5 times already and no sign of extra soap suds escaping or messing up the washer!
The reason you need to use "special" HE soap in these washers is they don't need a super sudsy soap to wash the clothes.  Since castile soap is made from coconut oil, you don't get that extra bubbles like you would with most other soaps...  So, so far, it's working GREAT!

Also, remember to use white vinegar for your softener!  CHEAP and it works GREAT!  No, your clothes will NOT smell like vinegar, trust me!  I've been using it for about 4 months now!  :)

 Here it is with the grated soap and borax....
 Here it is all mixed up!  ;)  I should've added a few more drops of lavender oil, I think I added about 7, but may try to add a bit more next time...  ;)
Here's my gallon bucket, packed full!  It seriously was to the top!  I couldn't get my spoon in the container!!! 

I'll re-post the date when I'm finished with the soap, will see how long a gallon bucket of powered soap lasts in this house!  :)

*Since writing this on the 10th of November, I still LOVE it!!  It works GREAT!!!!!!  i don't smell the lavender smell, so I may still go in and add a bit more, but then again, I may not!  I use 3 heaping teaspoons (a plastic spoon) for towels and sheets and usually jeans, but only 2 heaping teaspoons for whites and darks.  Still no probs with the front load, it still is working great!  You may need to adjust the teaspoons to what works for your clothes, but loving this stuff so far!  It looks like it's going to last me longer than a month too!  :D
Try it and let me know how you like it!!!  ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whew...

written 4-7-18 Wow! It's been a while since I"ve blogged...  Crazy fun times around here!  :) We had a BIG EVENT for our church Friday night.  It was awesome!!!  All about where we are and what we need to finance our new church building we are building!  We were to take a card and pray about a number and donate for the building fund.  It was a FANTASTIC awesome night to say the least!!! Curt and I have been praying about a number that God wants us to give.  We both feel a number, we can't afford.  haha...  We really can't afford anything because we still have 2 adoption credit card bills we are paying off.  God has blessed us and given us what we need each month.  But we want to give, and adding it up and looking at our budget and writing it all out, it's not there.  Nothing is there!  But that's the way it was with adoption!  We took that step of faith! So that was Friday...  Saturday morning went to kettle bell class and I died...  I honestly haven&#

Ultrasound

First of all, thank you ladies for all those sweet comments you made on my last post! How sweet you are for saying those things! Made my day!!! :O) Second, went for the ultrasound on Monday and everything is fine! WHOO HOO!!!!! No more placenta previa!!!! The baby weighs about 2 1/2 lbs, and everything looks good! We took the kids with us so they could see their baby brother/sister, they LOVED it!! Gavin was FULL of questions though! What's that stuff she put on mommy's belly? Why do the lights needs to be off? I only see one eye. Where's the other eye? What was that, is that his hand or leg? Oh my.... ;o) The tech ended up putting up a 4D on the screen, so that was really cool to see! The cord was kinda in the way, but I still think it was awesome! I didn't have that with any of the other kids!!! :O) Maybe the trick is taking 3 other siblings in to see the 4th!!! ;o) I also only gained a pound, which I am trying to figure out, seeings how I pretty m

Grandma

Grandma passed away this morning at 1:35 am. She had been totally un-responsive for the past couple of days. Yesterday we got a call and said she only had an hour, they said they made the mistake and grandma heard them, so she kept hanging on! Her feet had been cold and almost black, but they were starting to get warm and she was taking more breaths, but still very shallow. Finally she gave in and went home! The family seems to be doing ok, just please keep them in your prayers! The viewing will be Sunday and the funeral on Monday. I am not sure of the times yet, they are meeting with the funeral director in an hour. I am not going to be at the musical practice Monday nite, so Sandy May and Jena R are in charge that nite! I will have the lines assigned so the kids will know what their parts will be! Please help them out this week!!!! Thank you!!!! Thanks again for all of your prayers!!!!