Skip to main content

Halloween

We don't celebrate Halloween. I never did as a kid. Some of you thinking, poor kid, no, not really. I honestly don't remember being mad that we didn't get dressed up and going door to door asking for candy. I do remember one Halloween sitting in the family room, the blinds to the screen door were open and I could see TONS of kids out walking with their costumes going door to door asking for candy. Then I remember asking mom, "Hey mom. Why don't we get dressed up for Halloween?" She answered me. I don't remember everything she said, but in "kid terms" she said it was holiday of the devil and we don't want to celebrate it because of that. Like I said, that's how I remember her telling me, not her exact words.
We don't dress up our kids either. We went into Micheal's (No Hobby Lobbys out here! :o( ) and Gavin saw some Halloween stuff. He asked why we don't buy those things. I said well, it's not nice stuff. He was like how come? So I TRIED to explain the devil and how he is mean and God doesn't like it when we do things to make the Devil happy. I am sure I said more stuff, but don't remember! I do remember trying to explain it to him as best as I could, I mean, he's 4 years old! :o)
After reading this post from Randy, makes me want to get that book off my shelf and read it again! If you haven't read this book, do so! A SUPER GREAT read!!!
I am not posting this to piss people off either, just what I believe. I know some of you do celebrate, and if that's what you do, fine, I am not here to judge, just what's on my mind!
Here's the post from Randy Alcorns blog!

The following letter, written from the perspective of the demon Ishbane, is from my novel The Ishbane Conspiracy, which I wrote with my daughters, Karina and Angela. In the book's context, one of the characters, Ian, is dabbling in the occult.

Yes, I am well aware this is a controversial issue. In my opinion, it is often either overstated or understated. And yes, on Halloween we do give out candy generously, and we enjoy the kids' costumes. For some Halloween is harmless. But there is another side to be aware of, which sucks in others. If you participate, I suggest choosing costumes carefully, and having appropriate conversations with your kids when they see the "dark side" depicted. I hope the following will be thought provoking, especially for parents of young children.

Dear Foulgrin,

I’m pleased our favorite holiday’s coming up in a few weeks. Halloween! It’s official, Foulgrin—these vermin now spend more money on this holiday than any other except Christmas. For Ian and Daniel it served as a doorway to the occult. Dressing up as little devils. Bloodsucking vampires. The walking dead. Looking and acting as evil as possible. It may be cute to their parents, but in some cases, it’s just the foothold we need. Whether we’re celebrated or mythologized makes no difference...either way furthers our purposes. And since Halloween’s all about children and their impressionable minds, it couldn’t be more strategic.

I was a key figure in the early celebration of Samhain, from which their modern Halloween developed. Pagans believed the spirits couldn’t rest peacefully until given food and drink. This was a payment to the god who ruled the spirit world. Spirits were thought to roam the vicinities of their earthly lives seeking such treasures. On Samhain, the veil between the living and the dead was drawn back. On that night these wandering souls, in search of needed treasures, could visit and harass the living. Spirits would go to houses seeking the goods (“treats”) needed to find final rest. If a spirit wasn’t given a treat, it would “trick” or haunt the residents who refused to appease it. Pagans believed these harassing spirits could be deterred by carving fearful faces into pumpkins or squashes.

Of course, most of the vermin don’t understand this occult origin. And just enough innocence and fun have been infused to make it seem harmless. (And unfortunately to many it doesn't do the harm we wish it did.) But for many Halloween either glo­rifies death or makes light of it. The Enemy neither glorifies death nor makes light of it. Halloween eclipses His portrayal of death and the afterlife.

We’ve mutated this holiday into an effective introduction to the dark side. Razor blades hidden in apples or poison hidden in candy pale in comparison to what we’ve hidden, for many, inside the holiday itself.

Happy Halloween,


Prince Ishbane

Comments

Hey, I appreciate hearing your perspective on this. While we don't have kids, I have often wondered what our decision will be regarding halloween. I don't much like the idea of letting kids roam around getting a bunch of junk food from random strangers, let alone the scary costumes they'd be faced with. I guess in my imaginary family world I think that dress up and costumes go along with imaginative play skills and should be incorporated into the life of every kid, just not in that way. This year we are going to a fall party, a costume party themed "famous couples", but we will not be celebrating halloween. We will be enjoying fellowship with each other, bonfire, hay rack ride and contest for best ridiculous outfit. (Jeff's worship band is playing too!!!). It's really nice to hear other perspectives because I don't really hear people talking about it anymore. Thanks!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Whew...

written 4-7-18 Wow! It's been a while since I"ve blogged...  Crazy fun times around here!  :) We had a BIG EVENT for our church Friday night.  It was awesome!!!  All about where we are and what we need to finance our new church building we are building!  We were to take a card and pray about a number and donate for the building fund.  It was a FANTASTIC awesome night to say the least!!! Curt and I have been praying about a number that God wants us to give.  We both feel a number, we can't afford.  haha...  We really can't afford anything because we still have 2 adoption credit card bills we are paying off.  God has blessed us and given us what we need each month.  But we want to give, and adding it up and looking at our budget and writing it all out, it's not there.  Nothing is there!  But that's the way it was with adoption!  We took that step of faith! So that was Friday...  Saturday morning went to kettle bell class and I died...  I honestly haven&#

Ultrasound

First of all, thank you ladies for all those sweet comments you made on my last post! How sweet you are for saying those things! Made my day!!! :O) Second, went for the ultrasound on Monday and everything is fine! WHOO HOO!!!!! No more placenta previa!!!! The baby weighs about 2 1/2 lbs, and everything looks good! We took the kids with us so they could see their baby brother/sister, they LOVED it!! Gavin was FULL of questions though! What's that stuff she put on mommy's belly? Why do the lights needs to be off? I only see one eye. Where's the other eye? What was that, is that his hand or leg? Oh my.... ;o) The tech ended up putting up a 4D on the screen, so that was really cool to see! The cord was kinda in the way, but I still think it was awesome! I didn't have that with any of the other kids!!! :O) Maybe the trick is taking 3 other siblings in to see the 4th!!! ;o) I also only gained a pound, which I am trying to figure out, seeings how I pretty m

Grandma

Grandma passed away this morning at 1:35 am. She had been totally un-responsive for the past couple of days. Yesterday we got a call and said she only had an hour, they said they made the mistake and grandma heard them, so she kept hanging on! Her feet had been cold and almost black, but they were starting to get warm and she was taking more breaths, but still very shallow. Finally she gave in and went home! The family seems to be doing ok, just please keep them in your prayers! The viewing will be Sunday and the funeral on Monday. I am not sure of the times yet, they are meeting with the funeral director in an hour. I am not going to be at the musical practice Monday nite, so Sandy May and Jena R are in charge that nite! I will have the lines assigned so the kids will know what their parts will be! Please help them out this week!!!! Thank you!!!! Thanks again for all of your prayers!!!!