Thursday, September 17, 2009


Got this e-mail from my parents and was having computer issues and with Curt being gone, didn't get a chance to get it up... So here it is...

Dad wasn't feeling the greatest yesterday, Wednesday. But he is doing better today. Has had a head-ache and is sore where they put the port in. Got a little upset tummy Wed, but like I said, he is doing better and is still able to eat!

Good evening everyone............

Once again we stand in awe of God's grace. We met Dr Ranzinger for the first time today. He came in to explain the procedure for putting in the port and wondered if we had any questions. He took time to answer all our questions and then said that he likes to pray with his patients before he does any procedure. Of course, we both said YES, by all means we would love for you to pray. We were AMAZED and once again very thankful for being led to Goshen Center for Cancer Care.

Herm has had a long day, but really at this point, doesn't feel too bad. We left the house at 6:30 this morning and just returned home about 4:00pm. All the procedures went well at Goshen. Because of a time factor, he had the port put in first and then had the chemo. They didn't use the port this time for the chemo, because they had already put a pic line in and just used that. The port procedure only took about 30 minutes, but they needed to check his vitals and make sure he was awake enough to go on to get his chemo. Herm was awake during the surgery, said he could hear them talking, but probably won't remember it! The port is on his left side below the collar bone, under the skin and a little smaller than a quarter. He is to take it easy the rest of the day and not drive, OR WEED WACK!!! For those of you who hadn't heard, Herm went out to weed wack on Friday afternoon and got stung by a yellow jacket. He is allergic to bee stings, so we ended up at Parkview ER once again. BUT, this time only for a few hours :)

The chemo also was only about half an hour, but again, setting up, checking vitals, and generally making sure everything is okay takes more time than actually getting the chemo. The next chemo is Monday morning and then will see Dr. Pennington's nurse practitioner, because the doc will be out of the office.

We continually feel blessed to have so many upholding us through this journey. Herm said today that it has hit him once again that this is for real.

Visitors are welcome....but you may want to call before you come, just to make sure we are home. He is to avoid 'sick' people and steer clear of large crowds while on chemo, other than that, no real restrictions.

There is hope and we are hopeful.

Love and peace to all,
Herm and Carol

No comments: