Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Options...

Well, just got off the phone with my mom. They got some options, now they just need to decide what is best for them.

Dad has garden variety pancreatic cancer. There is no way that they can just go in and zap it. Dr Gize gave them some options.

One he could do an IV (type of Chemo) which is called Gemzar. Say he would start Wednesday, he would do that every Wednesday for 3 weeks, then have the 4th one off. But on the 5th week, he would start it all over again. Along with the Gemzar, he would have to take pill everyday called Tarceza. There are minimal side effects to these drugs. Dr Gize said it would maybe give him an extra 2 weeks.

Then there are Clinical Trials he could do.

There is a place in Goshen, IN that is called Goshen Cancer Center. They are thinking about that as an option as well. They treat the whole body, not just the symptom. Or if dad just wants to do the chemo, he could, or he could just do all holistic, or a little of both. They are open to whatever the patient wants to do or try. They also help out with the diet, so they could help him with his diet.

Mom and dad are drinking sage tea now, it is a liver cleanser.

Dad is in stage 4 cancer, and it is moderate growing. He has also lost 4 more pounds. He is also taking a little more insulin, up to 30 mlg instead of 24. They did call his heart doc and he is back on all his heart meds. The heart doc said to keep taking them until he sees Dad. His blood pressure was down quite a bit as well.

Cancer Center of America is not an option they want to consider. They asked Dr Gize about it and he was telling them some stories of people that went to CCA and then ended up going to see Dr Gize. None of the stories were good. So...

They just need to think and pray about what is the best option for them to do. Personally, I don't want my dad to put all those drugs in his body if it will only give him MAYBE an extra 2 weeks. But the decision is not mine. I do like the fact that Goshen Cancer Center really works with the patient and does what they want to do. Also, by helping out with the diet. I am not saying that the diet will give him the extra time, it really is all in God's hands. But I do think he would feel better by eating right and doing those liver cleansers. Dr Gize is a really nice doc according to mom and dad. He even told them if my bro and I have any questions or wonder about this certain drug or whatever, that he would be happy to answer any questions and explain anything! Nice...

So, please keep them in your prayers, that they can decide what is the best answer for them.

The more I think about it, or talk about it, the more real it gets. My dad has cancer and it is untreatable.... It really is kinda sinking in. Now he may have 2 weeks, or he may have 2 years. I just need to remember that is really is ALLLLLLL in God's hands, and there is nothing I can do about it. I WANT my dad to live forever, but yeah... (I am not trying to sound pessimistic or anything... Please don't read that to wrong way...)

Will post more when I know what they decide...

Thanks again for all your prayers!

3 comments:

Jena said...

praying for you guys...love you!

patsy sue said...

I know deep down God will guide them in the right direction and hopefully they will be more comfortable knowing that.My prayers are always with them

Martha said...

Mandy, I think you have a good perspective and have communicated it well. We are balancing hope with realism, and it's a fine line we walk. We walk this journey with faith, family, and friends. Thanks for keeping us all "posted" with your entries.